Thursday, July 01, 2004

Goodies From Leiby

Link.

[Mario] Cuomo, who was retained by the distributors, said, "I don't have any magic power that deludes people into doing things they don't want to do. I'm just a citizen who wanted to make the case." As for his other qualifications, he noted, "I was invited to serve on the Supreme Court of the United States by Bill Clinton."


Yeah, I've been reading Stephanopoulos's book the last couple nights, part of which detailed the story of Clinton's offer to Cuomo. Though the two didn't get on, the job was Cuomo's. He waffled as much as possible before finally turning it down. What a mistake that turned out to be, for everyone.


[Senator Joe]Biden [D - Dupont, MBNA] recounts in the new Rolling Stone:

"I turned to Vice President Cheney, who was there, and I said, 'Mr. Vice President, I wouldn't keep you if it weren't constitutionally required.' I turned back to the president and said, 'Mr. President, Dick Cheney and Don Rumsfeld are bright guys, really patriotic, but they've been dead wrong on every major piece of advice they've given you. That's why I'd get rid of them, Mr. President . . .' They said nothing. Just sat like big old bullfrogs on a log and looked at me."



Excellent, if blunt, advice.

General Glut suspects that in a Kerry Presidency, Biden will become Secretary of State or Defense, but I'd say that the above quote shows about everyone that Biden is no diplomat - Sec. of State is right out. He'd be perfect for the Defense Dept, though.

My view of Biden is heterodox. He's a plagiarist and drug warrior, and his ambition is naked even by Washington standards. But then he tore John Ashcroft a new one in the Senate hearings last week. His attack on Bush for "leaving" Iraq was beyond stupid, yet my girlfriend has met him and thinks he's all right.