Monday, October 13, 2008

Gordon Liddy Educates the Wannabes

He shows the young Nixonites how a real fascist party is thrown; the snot-noses are thrilled. Here's his own version of the infamous story, from Will:

As I worked at the White House, one heard talk of the election that was just a year away and nostalgic storytelling of the triumphs of 1968. I got awfully tired of stories about "giant rallies" with all the balloons going up in unison. Finally, I had enough of it. "Hey, you guys," I said one day, "you want to see a real rally?" Curious, they asked what I was talking about.

One of the advantages of living in Washington is the availability of the museums, art galleries, and libraries. One of my favorite haunts had been the National Archives, and I subscribed to the little schedule of motion pictures to be shown at the theater there. I had taken my children to see Leni Riefenstahl's cinematic masterpiece Triumph of the Will. I called the National Archives and set up a special showing for the White House staff. About fifteen people attended. At the climactic end of the picture, as thousands stand to sing the rousing Horst Wessel anthem following scenes of hundreds of thousands of storm troopers and SS in the mass formations of Albert Speer's gigantic spectaculars, the last notes drifted off, the picture faded, and the lights came up. There was a moment of stunned silence. Then from the rear of the audience came an awed, "Jesus! What an advance job!"